Thank you for your interest in becoming a milk donor!
It is thanks to generous people like you that we are able to help so many babies each and every year. Before beginning the process, please review the eligilibity criteria below.
If these items all apply to you, please give us a call at 303-869-1888 to begin your verbal screening.
Learn more about how the donation process works here.
To be be eligible as a human milk (breast milk) donor, you must:
- Be confident in your milk supply and produce milk in excess of your own baby’s needs
- Be willing to donate a minimum total of 150 ounces throughout your time as a donor with us
- Not be taking vitamin supplements that exceed 2000% Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
- Take only approved medications and herbal supplements/teas. Mothers’ Milk Tea, fenugreek and any lactation support product containing fenugreek or other herbs is NOT compatible with donating.
- Not have any medical condition that prohibits you from giving blood (there are exceptions to this rule – please contact us if this applies to you).
- Consume less than 450 mg of caffeine per day (2-3 cups of coffee)
- Wait 6 hours after drinking any alcoholic beverage to breast/chestfeed for collecting milk to donate
- Be motivated to practice exceptional hygiene and carry out careful milk collection and storage methods. Click here for more information on Storage Requirements.
- Be willing to undergo blood testing
- Be less than 18 months postpartum when collecting the milk
*Please note: Mothers’ Milk Bank is a a program of Rocky Mountain Children’s Health Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization; however, just like other donations such as blood or tissue, human milk is not currently tax-deductible.
Donating milk can save a life
Donor human milk is used by medical care teams in Neonatal Intensive Care Units across the country, providing life-saving support to life’s most fragile infants. Find out what to expect when you donate milk to Mothers’ Milk Bank.